Tuesday, June 30, 2009

There's No Place Like Home

My mom is a homemaker. I’ve grown up with a living model of someone who utilizes all her gifts and energy to create a home and care for her husband and children. Through scripture, many conversations, and helpful books, mom has helped me to see the noble calling of a homemaker and it’s affect on the world.

Dorothy Patterson elaborates, “Homemaking, if pursued with energy, imagination, and skills, has as much challenge and opportunity, success and failure, growth and expansion, perks and incentives, as any corporation, plus something no other position offers—working for people you love most and want to please the most!”

Through my mother’s example and training, I’ve caught a vision of the importance of my future mission. I know that whether or not I get married or have children, and no matter what other tasks the Lord might have for me, I want to fulfill my biblical calling of being a “keeper of the home.”

Are you catching God’s vision for you? Do you see the value of learning to care about the place where you live? Of learning to do what it takes to care for the place where you live? Take an inventory of your own heart attitude toward that precious place you call home. If you couldn’t care less about the looks of your special place, ask God to perform open-heart surgery in you. Ask Him to open it up and give you a heart that cares.

“I want to warn you that the world will not applaud you. Or worse, they may look down on you or criticize you. I guarantee you there won’t be awards given out for homemakers—at least not in this world. And we probably won’t see the effect right away. But our influence will surely outlast our lives.” –Nicole Whitcre

You don’t have to wait for a future day or time to get started on your mission. Tomorrow we’ll look at some ways to get started.

Today, why don’t you take some time to read through Proverbs 31:10-31 and maybe take some time after to talk about what you read with your mom? I’m sure she is ready and willing to talk! Keep in mind that this passage is not just directed to married women. There are many ways it applies to us!

No comments: