Monday, June 29, 2009

Future Homemakers

I’m so sorry for my lack of posting last week. This is a very busy season for me. I will try my best to do better this week. Keep checking back. My heart is still eager and willing to serve you girls through this blog. I’m continually grateful for all your friendships.

Over the next couple weeks I’m going to share some thoughts on homemaking. To kick things off, here is a story by Nicole Whitacre out of the book, “girl talk” and a little of my story…

“As a young woman, I often lay in bed at night and wondered about my future. I stared hard into the darkness, as if God had put the answers there. I had a longing to do great things for God. I imagined myself as a missionary in another country, maybe even a nurse, (I assumed my tendency to faint at the sight of blood would not be a problem.) I had visions of speaking to crowds of women, leading many to the gospel. What I didn’t yet understand was that God’s plan for me was greater than what my imagination could compare up. It was also very different than what I thought."

How about you? What are your dreams and aspirations for your future? How do you answer the well-meaning adults who ask about your plans after high school?

I know while I was in high school I would have never imagined that I would be where I am today. (My plan) was graduating and going to school to be an interior decorator, getting married, having kids, and living happily ever after. (God’s plan) was putting the school to rest so I could serve my parents by working for them. No, that wasn’t necessarily what I “planned” but God, in His goodness, already had a plan that far exceeded mine. There have been many challenging obstacles to walk through, but I can say time and time again that God has been faithful through them all, and I am incredibly grateful for every difficult circumstance the Lord has placed in my life. Even though there have been many hardships (and LOTS of tears) to walk through along the way, each of those circumstances have been for my good and God’s glory. I wouldn’t go back and change a thing! I have lots of anticipation for what my future holds, but God has been merciful to teach me not to dwell or become anxious about my future, but to surrender it into His loving hands because He already has mapped out every single step. He’s taught me that He has many good things in store and that they will come in His perfect timing!

It may surprise you to know that God in the Bible has already given you a sneak peak into your future. As woman, we are all appointed to be keepers of the home (Proverbs 31:10-31; 1 Timothy 5:14; Titus 2:5). Someday you may be called to love a husband and bring up children and make a home for them. While you may pursue many other God-honoring tasks of occupations throughout your lifetime, you are also called to be a homemaker.

Check back tomorrow for more!

No comments: