Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Shopping Trips and My Heart

While it may seem harmless in today’s culture, dressing immodestly is selfish and unloving toward our brothers in Christ. Instead of seeking to serve them by dressing modestly, we are serving ourselves because a lot of time we are craving their attention.

Nicole Whitacre explains it this way, “Modesty is of great importance because it honors God. But it also protects our brothers in Christ from sin. Women are sometimes ignorant of the effect of their bodies on the eyes of men. But for the most part, if we’re honest, we’ll admit we know exactly what we’re doing. As a pastor-friend of ours once said, “guy’s lust and girls want to be lusted after.’”

Growing up, my dad made it clear to all his daughters that immodest dress was not exceptable, simply for the sake of guarding the hearts of our brother’s in Christ. There were numerous shopping days spent at the mall only to result in needing to return quite a few items we came home with. Yes, at times, it was frustrating, but today I am filled with much gratitude for my parents raising me to fear the Lord and protect the eyes of my brothers in Christ.

Richard Baxter so aptly put it, “You must not lay a stumbling-block in their way, nor blow up the fire of their lust…You must walk among sinful persons, as you would do with a candle among straw or gunpowder; or else you may see the flame which you did not foresee, when it is too late to quench it.”

A young lady, named Lauren Eddy has shared what she’s decided to do when shopping for clothes, “I have to say that I hate annual shopping trips right before summer. It is something that I dread! I do struggle with self confidence and the way I look. I have for quite sometime. Not being able to find a swim suit, shorts, t-shirts and many other items that fit correctly has been frustrating! I have learned to trust in God that I will find things that are modest and that fit, all the more to glorify him.”

We need to remember that every time we leave our homes and step foot in a mall that God is already aware of what we’ll find and what we’ll be taking back home with us. You are not alone in the battle to find modest clothing! God walks with you every step of the way and He is glorified in your desire to protect your brothers in Christ by dressing modestly. Praying before shopping is always helpful for me. First, start off by thanking God for all He has provided in previous shopping trips, and then ask Him for help-help to trust Him and a continued desire to glorify God in the clothes you wear. There is no shopping trip that is un-successful when God is the center of your attention! “The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his (or her) steps” (Proverbs 16:9)

As Christian women in the church, we can be either a blessing or distraction to our brothers in Christ. C.J. Mahaney shares that “Godly men find modest women attractive. They appreciate women who dress with self-control and restraint. They’re grateful for women who help them fight the temptation to lust.” Though you may not always see or hear it from them, there are numerous young men that are extremely grateful for your pursuit to dress modestly.

Today let’s ask:

What’s most eye-catching about me- my clothing or my character?

No comments: