Monday, April 27, 2009

Trusting God for Who You Are

Psalm 139:14, 15-16- “I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made… My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth….Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there were none of them.”

Psalm 139:13-16 teaches us that we are who we are, because God Himself created us the way we are. God was a master weaver at work when we were in our mother’s wombs creating us as directly as He created Adam out of the dust of the earth.

Rev. James Hufstetler said it well when he said, “You are the result of the attentive, careful, thoughtful, intimate, detailed, creative work of God. Your personality, your sex, your height, your features, are what they are because God made them precisely that way. He made you the way he did because that is the way he wants you to be… If God wanted you to be basically and creatively different he would have made you differently. Your genes and chromosomes are creatively distinctive--even the shape of your nose and ears-- are what they are by God’s design”

David praised God because God made him. The eternal God who is infinite in His wisdom and perfect in His love personally made me and you. He gave us the body, the mental abilities, and the basic personalities we have because that is the way He wanted us to be. “He wanted you to be just that way so He would love you and glorify Himself through you.” – Jerry Bridges

George MacDonald said, “I would rather be what God chose to make me than the most glorious creature that I could think of; for to have been thought about, born in God’s thought, and then made by God, is the dearest, grandest, and most precious thing in all thinking.”

God who created us the way we are is the God who is wise enough to know what is best for us and loving enough to bring it about. Certainly we will sometimes struggle with who we are. So we must learn to trust God continually in this area. To do this, we must learn to say with David, “I praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen Sista!

Lacey N.