Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Promise of Forgiveness

“I know just enough about computers, as they say to be dangerous. But one thing I’ve learned the hard way is the meaning of that little button that’s spelled D-E-L. That’s right. The delete key. (I’m guessing you know about that one yourself.) Like you, I can think of times when I was working away at something on my computer and accidentally pressed the delete button, only to watch all my hard work vanish into thin air, leaving behind nothing but a blank screen of forgotten words. I wish the delete key was so easy to press in real life. In many ways, what happens when we trash a computer document is a picture of what takes place when we truly forgive someone who has wronged us. We clear their record. We wipe out their debt. Isn’t that the way God has forgiven us? All of our sin, deleted. Forever. All because of Christ’s death on the cross—in our place. Dept cancelled.” -Nancy Leigh DeMoss

Do you have a situation where forgiveness seems impossible? Perhaps you’re thinking, “I just can’t forgive this person for what he or she has done to me. It’s too painful to deal with? They’ve done it too many times?

I would never begin to deny the “deeply hurt” part, but we must remember the magnitude of our own sin and how many times God has forgiven us. Though we’ve sinned against Him countless times, He is still a God of compassion, love, kindness, meekness, and humility. His mercies are new every morning!

C.S. Lewis writes, “To be a Christians means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in us.”

Remeber that even when you don’t see the results of forgiveness, you can still know you’ve done what God requires of you!

No comments: